Sara: Hi, Yangyang! Happy Chinese New Year!
薩拉:嗨,陽陽!春節快樂!
Yangyang: Hi, Sara! Happy Year of the Tiger!
陽陽:嗨,薩拉!虎年快樂!
Sara: Sorry. What do you mean?
薩拉:對不起。你是什么意思?
Yangyang: Well, we Chinese named the years after twelve animals. In the Chinese calendar, we just entered the year of the tiger.
陽陽:嗯,我們中國人用十二個動物給年命名。在農歷,我們剛剛進入了虎年。
Sara: How interesting! What are the twelve animals?
薩拉:多么有趣??!十二個動物是什么?
Yangyang: They are Rat, Ox, Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Sheep, Monkey, Rooster, Dog, and Pig.
陽陽:它們是鼠、牛、虎、兔、龍、蛇、馬、羊、猴、雞、狗和豬。
Sara: How often does each animal come around?
薩拉:每個動物多久循環一次?
Yangyang: Every twelve years. I was born in the year of the tiger, so my birth-year animal is the tiger.
陽陽:每十二年。我出生在虎年,所以我的生肖是虎。
Sara: Who decided the order of the birth-year animals, Yangyang?
薩拉:誰決定生肖的順序,陽陽?
Yangyang: That’s a good question. There are many different stories about it.
陽陽:那是個好問題。有很多關于它的不同的故事。
Sara: Please tell me one of them.
薩拉:請給我講它們中的一個。
Yangyang: In one story, the Jade Emperor held a swimming race to choose animals for the names of the years. Those twelve animals were faster than others.
陽陽:在一個故事中,玉皇大帝為了年的名字舉辦了一場游泳比賽挑選動物。那十二個動物比其他動物快。
Sara: Which animal was the first of the twelve?
薩拉:哪一個動物是十二個中的第一個?
Yangyang: It was the rat.
陽陽:是老鼠。
Sara: Then the Jade Emperor decided to name a year after each of them. The rat starts the cycle.
薩拉:然后玉皇大帝決定用它們中的每一個給年命名。老鼠是循環的開始。
Yangyang: You are right.
陽陽:你是對的。
Mike: Hi, Lingling! I have a New Year gift for you.
邁克:嗨,玲玲!我有一份新年禮物給你。
Lingling: What a surprise! Thank you. What is it?
玲玲:太驚喜了!謝謝你。它是什么?
Mike: Look! It’s a tiger--year stamp! I got it in Canada. I know you were born in the year of the tiger.
邁克:看!它是一枚虎年郵票!我在加拿大得到它的。我知道你出生在虎年。
Lingling: Yes, I was. My favourite animal is the tiger. I collect the birth--year animal stamps. I’ll show them to you.
玲玲:是的,我出生在虎年。我最喜歡的動物是老虎。我收集生肖郵票。我將向你展示它們。
Mike: Great! My grandma also collects the birth-year animal stamps. She likes the dog best. She is as caring as a dog.
邁克:太棒了!我(外)祖母也收集生肖郵票。她最喜歡狗。她像狗一樣樂于助人。
Lingling: What is your birth-year animal, Mike?
玲玲:你的生肖是什么,邁克?
Mike: I’m an ox. I work as hard as an ox.
邁克:我屬牛。我像牛一樣努力工作。
Lingling: I’m as brave as a tiger.
玲玲:我像老虎一樣勇敢。